Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 12 Feb 13 at 22:30 PM

Match Report: City 1 Huddersfield 2

Leicester City went out of the FA Cup with Budweiser on Tuesday night as they were beaten 2-1 by a battling Huddersfield Town in a Fourth Round Replay at King Power Stadium.

Adam Clayton’s stunning free kick in the fifth minute gave Huddersfield the early lead, but just two minutes later City’s Michael Keane made it 1-1 by firing the ball home from six yards after the visitors failed to clear a corner.

However with 15 minutes left on the clock, Terriers livewire Sean Scannell wriggled through the City defence and finished past Kasper Schmeichel to give the his side a 2-1 win and book a fifth round date with Wigan Athletic.

City boss Nigel Pearson made four changes to the side that lost at Peterborough at the weekend, with Marko Futacs replacing Jamie Vardy in attack and partnering David Nugent.

Matty James, Paul Gallagher and Richie Wellens also made the starting XI as Andy King and Danny Drinkwater dropped to the bench, with the injured Ben Marshall the other name missing.

After drawing 0-0 with Cardiff last time out, Huddersfield made six changes to their side with on-loan Norwich City striker James Vaughan dropping to the bench, and Jordan Sinnott making just his second start for the visitors.

Despite a much-changed side, the visitors got off to a flyer in just the fifth minute after Wes Morgan fouled Alan Lee in a central position on the edge of the area.

Former Leeds man Clayton stepped up and curled an unstoppable right foot strike over the wall and past a helpless Schmeichel to give the visitors the lead.

That lead lasted all of two minutes though, as on-loan Manchester United defender Keane was on hand at the other end to score his first career goal and make it 1-1.

Anthony Knockaert’s corner was met by Ritchie De Laet, whose header was blocked into the path of the 20-year-old Keane to side foot past Huddersfield ‘keeper Ian Bennett.

Sinnott then saw a ferocious effort blocked by Keane for Town, while Gallagher volleyed over the bar from range as City began to settle into the game with 20 minutes played.

The Foxes pressed, and some nice play between Knockaert and Paul Konchesky came close to opening up the Terriers’ defence again, as Gallagher followed up by dragging an ambitious 30-yard shot just wide before the half hour mark.

But with the Foxes unable to find that final ball, Huddersfield looked to counter, and almost did so effectively on 42 minutes, but Scott Arfield’s long range drive went over after some good play from Scannell.

A disjointed first half display from both sides was brought to a close with a late flurry of Huddersfield chances. First Muarry Wallace brought the best out of Schmeichel from 25 yard before City skipper Morgan got a crucial block on Scannell’s shot.

With both teams coming out unchanged for the second half, it was City who looked to get forward early and avoid the prospect of extra time, but Gallagher’s teasing left wing cross was cut out at the crucial moment by Bennett.

The returning Wellens then flashed a swerving half volley wide on 53 minutes as the visitors began to defend much deeper.

Ten minutes later Gallagher’s deflected effort won City a corner, which was headed tantalisingly back across goal for Futacs to head, but Lee got the block on the line.

With space then opening up down the flanks, the Foxes looked to work it wide at every opportunity, and it almost paid dividends on 68 minutes, but Nugent’s header from Konchesky’s cross was straight at Bennett.

There was still plenty of energy in the visitors' play though, and City were reminded of their threat when Schmeichel pulled off an acrobatic save to deny Clayton.

The Yorkshire side followed that up by bringing on striker Vaughan for Lee with 70 minutes gone.

Huddersfield skipper Anthony Gerrard then saw yellow for a late tackle on Knockaert, while Pearson made a double change – Vardy and Martyn Waghorn replacing Nugent and Futacs.

Almost immediately though Huddersfield scored. Scannell took the ball past Koncheksy and Keane near the touchline, before sliding a finish underneath Schmeichel, giving his side a 2-1 lead at a stunned King Power Stadium.

With City's last roll of the dice, Lloyd Dyer joined the action in the 82nd minute at the expense of Wellens.

And with four minutes of stoppage time on the board, Vardy had what looked to be City’s golden chance to take the game to extra time, but his header from Gallagher's cross was glanced agonisingly wide of Bennett’s right hand post.

That was the be the last meaningful effort of the match as City must now turn their focus towards Tuesday’s npower Championship clash at home to Charlton Athletic.

City (4-4-2): Schmeichel, De Laet, Konchesky, Morgan (c), Keane, James, Gallagher, Wellens (Dyer 82), Knockaert, Futacs (Vardy 74), Nugent (Waghorn 74)

Unused subs: Drinkwater, King, Logan, Moore

Goals: Keane 7

Huddersfield Town (4-5-1): Bennett, Woods, Dixon, Gerrard (c), Scannell, Clayton, Wallace, Arfield, Lee (Vaughan 70), Atkinson (Goburn 84), Sinnott (Norwood 65)

Unused subs: Colgan, Hunt, Oscar, Clarke, Crooks

Goals: Clayton 5, Scannell 75

Referee: James Adcock

Attendance: 14,517

    Latest Match Reports