‘To be a respected Premier League
Academy, considered as an example of
excellence and best practice and one of
the major developers of players within the
“The staff of the Academy are committed in their endeavour to identify talented boys and to provide quality coaching, combined with a relevant education package in order to produce young men of integrity with the ability to play professional football for Leicester City Football Club”.
This year, as a Club and as an Academy, we will look to build further on what are very solid foundations that have earned a National Championship (06-07) and the title of Group Winners in the 2006-2007, 2009-2010 and 2011-2012 seasons.
With the continued support from the Board of Directors and senior management of Leicester City Football Club, we are confident of future successes on all levels.
With ever-improving facilities and with the backing of everyone connected with the Club, the aim to produce tomorrow’s First Team players is stronger than ever.
That continued support is certain to see the Academy continue to grow and, in turn, continue to produce the next Lineker or Shilton.
Through our player-centred focus and the implementation of our ‘Committed to Excellence’ technical programme, we are fully committed to providing a first class football experience to all of our players aged 8-21, in order to give them the best possible chance of eventually making the First Team at Leicester City.
Added to this commitment on the pitch, we are also committed to the development of first class individuals through a comprehensive off-the field education and welfare programme that is second to none.
We are fiercely proud of what has been achieved so far at Leicester City and we look forward to challenging ourselves to maintain and improve upon those already high standards. We continue to provide the highest standards of coaching and educational support along with a clear record of being able to offer opportunities to players in achieving their main goal.
Leicester City Academy’s Football Philosophy has been shaped by the Club’s historical player development achievements, with the focus on continually providing an outstanding, safe and positive player-centred learning environment, with a vision to the future.
• The Academy thrives on challenge and new ideas. We encourage players to think independently, to work alongside others to the benefit of all and to develop a sense of responsibility that will stay with them for the rest of their careers.
• Supported by the Club’s state-of-the-art performance facility, our staff will foster a culture of excellence, nurturing young players to achieve their maximum potential in all aspects.
• From Foundation phase to First Team, the ‘Committed to Excellence’ Four-Corner Technical programme will provide the platform to produce innovative players with technical and tactical excellence.
• All Leicester City Academy teams are expected to display a competitive mentality in all they do, with the emphasis of how to win implemented from the Professional phase, while demonstrating all the principles of fair play and respect.
• Our Academy teams across the Youth Development and Professional phases will learn the preferred First Team tactical formations of 1-4-4-2 and 1-4-3-3, as part of each individual player’s positional game understanding, and 1-2-3-1 across the Foundation phase.
• Our Academy teams are taught and encouraged to play through the thirds, providing width, demonstrating controlled possession from the back and identifying space, with coach support and praise for creative expression.
• Our Academy players will attain the appropriate tactical acumen across the development pathway, with access to team and individual performance analysis to enhance decision making as part of the management of the game.
• Our Academy players will receive physiological and psychological programmes and support to optimise each player’s development and match performance components.
• All our players are expected to be proficient in the use of both feet at the pinnacle of the pathway.
• All our players across the Foundation and Youth Development phases will be provided with the opportunity to play in various positions, as part each individual’s development programme.
• The Club’s ‘Committed to Excellence’ development pathway will provide the tactical principals of defending within a team unit and individually, including the defensive and offensive transition objectives.
• All our players and teams are encouraged to be creative as part of skill acquisition development, including interchange and rotation to receive, while understanding where, when and why.
• Our teaching styles will be flexible with a predominant preference of Question & Answer and Guided Discovery across the phases.
• All our technical coaching sessions will demonstrate the relationship between training and matches.
• Our learning environment will be stimulating, challenging, expressive and enjoyable.
• To support the needs of the First Team squad and provide players for the First Team Manager, irrespective of Club’s league status.
• To have a regular presence of Academy-developed and home-grown players within the 18-man First Team squad each week.
• To continue to produce professional footballers who come through the Leicester City Football Club system and attain a career in professional football.
• To continue to develop players who represent national teams at all age levels.
• To maximise the financial return with Academy developed players.
• To identify local talent and place them in a safe, enjoyable learning environment.
• To ensure each player is aware of what is expected to maximise their opportunity throughout the player pathway.
• To ensure the values and the highest standards set by the Club are met by all.
• To ensure the aims of developing players of integrity and best people are met, whilst educating the whole person.
We will not be static or complacent. We will strive to be at the forefront of the player development industry. We will be forward-thinking with the aim of continuously improving everything we do.
We will provide the structure from which to grow and develop. We will provide the foundation for everyone to excel in the Academy and reach their maximum potential.
We will take ownership of issues within the Academy. We will exhibit enthusiasm and excellence in everything we do. We will take pride in all our actions, as we endeavour to achieve best-practice status in whatever we do.
We will act in an ethical manner. We will treat each other, players, parents and stake holders, with mutual respect. We will demonstrate trustworthiness and honesty in all our actions.
We will be welcoming to all. We will create an environment of openness that engages the entire football community. We will be accessible to everyone and encourage a team ethic throughout the organisation. We will be a positive force in the football community.