Marc Albrighton

European Record

City will embark on their sixth continental journey in 2021/22 after winning the Emirates FA Cup and finishing fifth in the Premier League the year earlier, adding to the Club's growing status on the European stage.

2020/21 - New records made in Europa League debut

Despite SC Braga being the closest challengers to Leicester City at the top of Group G during their 2020/21 UEFA Europa League campaign, a resounding 4-0 win in November 2020 proved to be their largest triumph in Europe.

Following back-to-back wins over Zorya Luhansk and AEK Athens, the Foxes knew a win over Braga would put them in a commanding position to advance into the knockout stages.

They not only won, but set a new Club record in the process thanks to two goals and an assist from Kelechi Iheanacho, who set up Dennis Praet for a third of the night before James Maddison concluded the scoring.

The triumph put Leicester three points clear at the top of their pool, having won all of their opening matches on their Europa League debut.

Expand photo
Harvey Barnes
Harvey Barnes

Harvey Barnes scores his fourth goal of the 2020/21 season in all competitions as Leicester sealed safe passage in Portugal.

During an end-to-end encounter, six goals saw City share the spoils, and ultimately advance to the next round due to AEK Athens losing out to Zorya Luhansk on the same evening.

Although Al Musrati struck early on, Harvey Barnes levelled matters just five minutes later. Then, Paulinho restored Braga’s lead before another Academy graduate – Luke Thomas – found the net for his first goal for the Club.

With only added time remaining, Fransergio looked to have pinched all three points for the home side, however Vardy's 95th-minute leveller sent City through in a 3-3 thriller.

Another victory over AEK Athens would follow for the Foxes to wrap up top spot but a stubborn Slavia Prague outfit would ultimately end their first-ever Europa League campaign over two legs in the Round of 32 stage.

2016/17 - An enthralling maiden Champions League campaign

Leicester's best European showing to date undoubtedly came in 2016/17 as the Foxes marked their maiden outing in the UEFA Champions League with a series of sensational performances.

Making their debut in European football's platinum club competition, following the magnificent Premier League title success in 2016, Claudio Ranieri's men were grouped with FC Porto, Copenhagen and Club Brugge. 

Marc Albrighton earned the honour of scoring Leicester's first goal in the competition in a 3-0 win in Bruges in September, while Riyad Mahrez found the net twice more for the flying Foxes.

Successive 1-0 victories - at home against Porto and Copenhagen - followed for Leicester, before a 0-0 stalemate away in the Danish capital, and a 2-1 home success over Brugge. 

Expand photo
Kasper Schmeichel
Kasper Schmeichel

Kasper Schmeichel saves a decisive spot-kick as Leicester advance past European specialists Sevilla in the Round of 16.

While a much-changed Foxes side were beaten at Porto, Ranieri's champions emerged as group winners to face Sevilla in the round of 16, losing out in the first leg 2-1 at Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán Stadium.

One of the greatest nights in the Club's history followed, as Wes Morgan and Albrighton got the goals, while Kasper Schmeichel saved a penalty to secure a 3-2 aggregate win for a side overseen by Craig Shakespeare.

Atléti, though, would once again deny Leicester in the last-eight. Antoine Griezmann's penalty booked a 1-0 win in Madrid, before Saúl Ñíguez's header reduced Jamie Vardy's strike to a consolation in Leicester.

However, the Foxed could be immensely proud of their debut showing in the Champions League, and received a raucous applause as they left the field. 

2000/01 - Tackling Red Star in the UEFA Cup

Another reward for League Cup success came in 2000, following City's final win against Tranmere Rovers, although Peter Taylor was now the man in charge ahead of a second UEFA Cup appearance.

The Foxes were drawn to face Serbian side Red Star Belgrade against the backdrop of a season which saw Leicester City sitting atop of the Premier League table after eight matches.

The first leg, staged at Filbert Street, was a tense affair, but the Foxes fell behind as the smoke from a flare distracted Tim Flowers in the home side's net.

Milenko Ačimovič's long-range effort inside the opening minute, while usually a simple stop, caught Flowers by surprise as it emerged through a thick cloud of smoke in front of the Double Decker Stand.

Expand photo
Leicester City vs. Red Star Belgrade
Leicester City vs. Red Star Belgrade

The draw for the UEFA Cup was once again unkind to City, pitting them up against a strong Red Star Belgrade side.

City recovered, though, with Gerry Taggart crashing in a header inside the penalty area to leave the tie finely poised ahead of the second leg, which took place in Vienna due to unrest in Belgrade.

Goran Drulić fired the 'home' side in front at Ernst-Happel-Stadion, but Muzzy Izzet was able to restore parity on the scoresheet before the interval during a lively encounter in Austria's capital.

City's bid to reach the second round, though, began to unravel after the break as first Ivan Gvozdenović and then Drulić again scored the goals to seal a 4-2 aggregate win for Red Star.

The Club would have to wait 16 years for their next chance to shine against the best sides on the continent. 

1997/98 - Edged by Atlético over two legs

Thirty-six years after their last European adventure, following Leicester's 1997 League Cup triumph over Middlesbrough, Martin O'Neill was the man in charge as the Club returned to European football in the UEFA Cup.

Their first opponents? Atlético Madrid. In mid-September, a month which would end with O'Neill scooping the Premier League Manager of the Month prize, City travelled to Spain for the first leg.

To the shock of Madrid natives - and indeed the thousands of travelling Foxes fans - the visitors took the lead as Ian Marshall bundled a close-range effort in against a side boasting £50M worth of talent.

Expand photo
Ian Marshall
Ian Marshall

Ian Marshall gives Leicester a shock lead over Atlético at Vicente Calderón Stadium.

Naturally, Atléti recovered and began to dominate proceedings with Juninho Paulista and then Christian Vieri - from the penalty spot - turning the match on its head and giving the hosts a 2-1 lead.

Back in Leicester, a night of controversy ensued. With City sensing an opportunity to capitalise after Juan López's red card for Madrid, Garry Parker was then inexplicably dismissed himself nine minutes later.

As O'Neill fumed on the touchline - after seeing Parker seemingly sent off for taking a free-kick too quickly for the referee's liking - Juninho and Kiko broke Leicester's hearts late on at Filbert Street.

1961/62 - The Club's European Cup Winners' Cup debut

As a result of reaching the FA Cup Final at the conclusion of the 1960/61 season, losing out to Tottenham Hotspur, City qualified for the European Cup Winners' Cup a season later. 

Later replaced by the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and then abolished in 1999, the European Cup Winners' Cup was reserved for the victors of European domestic cup competitions.

However, as Spurs had been entered into the European Cup as First Division champions, their space was allotted to Leicester, making their maiden appearance in the preliminary round.

A two-legged victory was sealed against Irish Cup winners Glenavon, with James Walsh, Colin Appleton, Ken Keyworth and Hugh Mcllmoyle among the scorers in a 7-2 aggregate success. 

Expand photo
Leicester City 1961
Leicester City 1961

The 1961/62 Leicester City first team squad, pictured at Filbert Street.

City were rewarded with a glamour tie against Spanish giants Atlético Madrid - who would become familiar foes for the Foxes - in the first round proper of the competition.

Despite sealing an encouraging 1-1 draw in the first leg at Filbert Street, when Keyworth's opener was cut out in the last minute by Mendoza, heartbreak was to follow in the Spanish capital.

Leicester's first of three competitive visits to the Vicente Calderón would end in a 2-0 defeat for Matt Gillies' men as Atlético gathered steam in an ultimately successful bid to lift the trophy.

It would be another 36 years until the Foxes would return to the European stage.

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

More Videos

Latest Images