- Leicester City's Development Squad exited the Premier League International Cup on Wednesday
- The Foxes drew 1-1 with Bayern Munich, but lost 5-4 on penalties at Holmes Park
- Left-back Calvin Ughelumba says City can take heart from their performance in the fixture
- City next head to Burnley in the Premier League Cup Last-16 on Friday (2:30pm GMT kick-off)
City battled back from a one-goal deficit at Holmes Park through Alex Pascanu’s last-gasp leveller, but it is Bayern who progress to the last-four of the Premier League International Cup.
Reflecting on the tie as a whole, left-back Ughelumba, who was introduced as a second half substitute for Leicester, provided a thoughtful assessment of an otherwise impressive display.
“We’re very disappointed, but I think we did really well to get back in the game,” the 19-year-old told LCFC TV at full-time in Whetstone.
Ughelumba Takes Positives From Bayern Defeat
Development Squad defender Calvin Ughelumba speaks to LCFC TV following a penalty shoot-out defeat by Bayern Munich.
“We went a goal down and I think we showed real fight and desire to come back. I just thought we were unlucky on penalties, we needed luck the most and it didn’t come to us.
“We knew they were a beatable side and that’s no disrespect to them, they’re a good side but I think we’re a good side as well.
“I think it was just about pushing on and keeping calm, not panicking, because we still had a good 45 minutes to get back in the game.”
While City’s are struggling for form at present, Ughelumba believes it is just a matter of time before their performances start to produce the results they deserve.
“I think especially in our last two games we’ve been really positive,” he continued.
“The Tottenham game went early on but then again we didn’t have that luck and we didn’t see the game out and then again today. “We had that luck to get back in (the game) we just couldn’t provide.”
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via Email
- Share via Whatsapp
- Share via Facebook Messenger
- Copy link to clipboardUrl Copied to clipboard