Filbert Street

This Week In History: City's 111 Years At Filbert Street Come To An End

Leicester City marked several key landmarks, including the final game of their 2015/16 season and bidding an emotional goodbye to Filbert Street, over 11-17 May in the Club's history.
More on this story...

Five-Star Foxes Book Wembley Play-Off Final Place

On 13 May, 1992, Leicester City beat Cambridge United 5-0 at Filbert Street to reach the Play-Offs Final at Wembley.

Twenty-eight years ago, on 13 May, 1992, Brian Little's Foxes secured their place in the first of three successive second tier play-off finals with a stunning victory over Cambridge United.

Following a 1-1 draw in the first leg, Leicester entertained the U's at Filbert Street for what most expected would be a tense and fraught 90 minutes of dramatic play-off action.

However, a brace from Tommy Wright, plus solitary goals from Steve Thompson, Kevin 'Rooster' Russell and Ian Ormondroyd saw City run riot, winning 5-0, and 6-1 on aggregate.

The final, though, was a different affair as Little's men suffered a 1-0 defeat by Blackburn Rovers, made worse by the fact that former Fox Mike Newell scored the winner from the penalty spot.


Foxes Win Last Game At Filbert Street

Goals from Paul Dickov and Matt Piper ensured the Foxes' time at Filbert Street ended with a win, as City beat Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 on 11 May, 2002.

Despite upgrading Filbert Street with the new 9,500-capacity Carling Stand, replacing the 72-year-old Main Stand in 1993, Leicester left their home of 111 years on 11 May, 2002.

The magnificent era of Martin O'Neill's tenure in charge was a distant memory and a season which included three managers - Peter Taylor, Dave Bassett and Micky Adams - ended in relegation.

City were to move into the 32,000-capacity King Power Stadium, previously called Walkers Stadium, that summer, but they nonetheless signed off the 2001/02 campaign with a rare victory over Tottenham.

Following Teddy Sheringham's penalty, Paul Dickov and youngster Matt Piper scored the goals in a 2-1 win for the Foxes - and they were able to secure an immediate return to the top-flight a year later.


City Given Guard Of Honour At Chelsea

On Saturday 15 May, 2016, Premier League champions Leicester City received a Guard of Honour from the Blues ahead of their 1-1 draw in the Premier League.

Fourteen years after leaving Filbert Street, King Power Stadium was the venue as City lifted the Premier League trophy for the first time - and their final game of the season came on 15 May, 2016.

After receiving the trophy a week earlier on Filbert Way, Claudio Ranieri returned to Stamford Bridge as his Foxes fought out a 1-1 draw with Guus Hiddink's Chelsea to wrap up Leicester's best-ever season.

Danny Drinkwater's stunning effort from distance, following Cesc Fàbregas' spot-kick, sealed a point for the visitors, meaning they had lost just three games all season, winning the title by a margin of 10 points.

The day will perhaps be best remembered, however, for the gracious congratulations afforded by City's hosts, with both the squad and Ranieri being the recipients of a Guard of Honour at Stamford Bridge. 

Latest News

Latest Galleries

Latest Videos

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

More Videos

Latest Images