Tony Cottee

Anfield Joy, Cup Replays & Penalty Saves: Memorable Liverpool Encounters Recalled has delved into the Club’s archives to recount six memorable victories over Sunday's opponents, Liverpool.

The Premier League trip to Anfield on Sunday evening (7:15pm kick-off GMT) will bring back some fond memories for the Blue Army, most recently from when City recorded a 2-0 victory at the stadium on 3 May 2000.

Martin O'Neill's side came into the game with European football already secured, and were much changed, lining up with a back three and a five-man midfield.

The hosts, meanwhile, were searching to join the Foxes in Europe for 2000/01 and included the formidable 'little and large' partnership of Michael Owen and former Leicester striker Emile Heskey.

However, it was the visitors who started on the front foot and got their reward after just two minutes. Former Evertonian Tony Cottee made Liverpool pay for some slack defending to open the scoring.

Neil Lennon caught Reds defender Stephane Henchoz unawares, finding Cottee in the area via a deft pass, with the forward doing the rest. The 12th of 13 league goals that season, Cottee was City's top scorer during 1999/00.

Expand photo
Neil Lennon & Tony Cottee
Neil Lennon & Tony Cottee

Tony Cottee celebrates with Neil Lennon after opening the scoring at Anfield.

Marshalled by Matt Elliott, Frank Sinclair and Phil Gilchrist, Liverpool's attacking threats struggled to make an impact, even after Gérard Houllier threw on Robbie Fowler in an attempt to get a foothold in the game.

Instead, Gilchrist popped up at the other end, deservedly doubling City's advantage just after the break with a close range header after Jamie Carragher got his clearance all wrong. 

Leicester's centre midfield trio of Lennon, Robbie Savage and Muzzy Izzet battled superbly, restricting Liverpool to shots from long range, including a Patrik Berger pile-driver from 30 yards that cannoned off the crossbar.

City became the first away side since Arsenal in 1975 to claim three consecutive victories at Anfield. It helped achieve their highest league position in 24 years, finishing eighth in the table on 55 points and qualifying for the UEFA Cup first round after the League Cup final triumph over Tranmere Rovers.

Expand photo
Ian Marshall
Ian Marshall

Ian Marshall would go on to score another match winner at home to Coventry City, three days later.

A year earlier, on 21 April 1999, Leicester secured their second straight Anfield win and clean sheet, courtesy of Ian Marshall's dramatic late goal.

The Reds had missed guilt-edged chances to take the lead themselves earlier in the contest, including when Steve McManaman blazed over from close range and Øyvind Leonhardsen forced Kasey Keller into a diving stop.

Cottee had a second-half chance, but couldn't sort his feet out, before Leicester struck the decisive blow in the closing stages. Marshall, who had missed the majority of the season through injury, produced a magical moment to come up with a 90th minute winner for the Foxes and stun the majority of the 36,000-strong crowd.

Andy Impey sent a long, clearing ball forward, which the striker latched onto and fired past David James with a powerful first-time left-footed effort at his near post, in front of the Kop.

The result moved O'Neill's men up to 12th position in the table after 30 games, within one point of Liverpool, and they would end the season in 10th, on 49 points.

Expand photo
Jock Wallace
Jock Wallace

Jock Wallace's Leicester City finally ended Liverpool's long-standing home record in 1981.

Rewinding all the way back 31 January 1981, City travelled to Anfield to face a formidable Liverpool side who had remained unbeaten in the previous 85 home games.

Bob Paisley's outfit contained the likes of midfield hard man Graeme Souness, Ray Clemence in goal and captain Phil Thompson at the back. 

Leicester, meanwhile, were bottom of the First Division, but had beaten the Reds 2-0 at Filbert Street earlier in the season.

And incredibly, the Foxes would complete an unlikely double over the current league champions, triumphing 2-1 and ending the hosts' three-year run without a home defeat.

Things did not go to plan for Leicester in the first period, as Alan Young's own goal handed the home side a 15th-minute lead.

However, Jock Wallace masterminded a terrific second-half comeback, first equalising through Pat Byrne on the hour mark and then grabbing the winner with just under 15 minutes to play, thanks to Jim Melrose's finish.

Although City were relegated at the end of the campaign, it remains a memorable, record-breaking result against the team that would go on to be crowned European Cup champions later that season.

Expand photo
Keith Weller
Keith Weller

Keith Weller fires home his first of the afternoon to start the Leicester comeback.

Filbert Street has also held some of the best encounters between the two sides, including on 30 August 1972.  After going two goals down, Keith Weller's hat-trick secured a 3-2 victory for the Foxes - their first of the campaign.

Liverpool went into the game needing just a point to reclaim leadership at the top of the First Division over local rivals Everton, but were shocked by a resilient Leicester side.

Welsh forward John Toshack found the net twice within the opening 18 minutes, heading home after Peter Shilton parried Kevin Keegan's initial effort, before a cooly taken second from Brian Hall's pass. 

City fought back, striking twice in a crazy seven-minute spell, still inside the opening half an hour - both scored by City captain and fans favourite, Weller.

Expand photo
Keith Weller
Keith Weller

Forward Weller became a popular figure amongst the Filbert Street faithful during his seven years at the Club.

Glover's cross was nodded down by Frank Worthington for Weller to smash home his first and then another powerful strike levelled the scores.

The match-winner came just six minutes after the interval, Weller again the man to find his scoring touch, pouncing on the ball and finishing after Stringfellow was fouled in the build-up.

Shilton was forced to make three fine saves to deny Hughes in the closing stages, and Toshack struck the post, but Leicester held on to claim all three points.

In the 1960s, Leicester would come out on top in two FA Cup ties, firstly in a semi-final on 27 April 1963. Second in the First Division ahead of the encounter, City were chasing a league-cup double with just four games of the season remaining.

Expand photo
Gordon Banks
Gordon Banks

Gordon Banks leaps high to tip Roger Hunt's header over the bar in the FA Cup semi-final match at Hillsborough.

The Foxes faced Bill Shankly's Liverpool, promoted as Second Division champions the previous season, in front of 65,000 at Hillsborough, vying to reach the competition's showpiece event.

Mike Stringfellow got the all-important opener after 18 minutes, rising highest to head Howard Riley's free-kick past Tommy Lawrence in the Liverpool goal, after Ronnie Moran had handled the ball 25 yards out.

And that's how it stayed, though Gordon Banks denied Ian Callaghan, and Roger Hunt, who also hit the crossbar during a frantic second half which Liverpool dominated.

Nevertheless, despite the firepower of Ian St John and Chris Lawler, it was Leicester who held on to their lead to reach the final. Matt Gillies' side would lose 3-1 to relegation-threatened Manchester United at Wembley.

Six years later, on 3 March 1969, it was back to Anfield for another FA Cup clash, this time in a fifth round replay. Just two days after a dour goalless draw at Filbert Street, the sides did battle once more in Merseyside.

Expand photo
David Nish
David Nish

David Nish was the youngest player to captain an FA Cup Final team when he led Leicester out against Manchester City.

And just like in 1963, a first-half goal from the visitors proved to be the difference, as the Foxes booked a trip to Mansfield Town in the sixth round.

Andy Lochhead met Len Glover's cross from the left to head home with 34 minutes on the clock, after good work from Allan Clarke and David Gibson to start the move.

Liverpool had their chances to level, not least from the penalty spot, but Tommy Smith's 40th minute spot-kick was superbly saved by Peter Shilton, after Graham Cross was penalised for handball.

Shilton's heroics didn't end there as he kept out Ian St John, Peter Thompson and later Emlyn Hughes, with a string of impressive saves.

Frank O'Farrell's Leicester went on to make the final again that season, this time losing 1-0 to Manchester City.

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

More Videos

Latest Images