Ian Marshall

Classic Encounter: Six-Goal Thriller En Route To 2000 League Cup Glory

Leicester City’s 1999/00 League Cup campaign is often remembered by the Blue Army for Matt Elliott’s brace of headed goals in the final – but it was another double, against Fulham, that laid the foundations for an iconic day at Wembley Stadium.
More on this story...

The Foxes welcome Scott Parker's side to King Power Stadium in the Premier League on Monday evening, and ahead of the game, LCFC.com reflects on a crucial League Cup tie with the Cottagers.

Leicester City 3 Fulham 3 AET (3-0 pens)
Wednesday 12 January, 2000
League Cup Quarter-Final
Filbert Street

City had already seen off Crystal Palace, Grimsby Town and Leeds United in three hard-fought encounters by the time they welcomed Fulham to Filbert Street in mid-January 2000.

The quarter-final tie’s tense opening 45 minutes was followed by a Paul Peschisolido strike to break the deadlock before Geoff Horsfield capitalised on a mistake from legend Steve Walsh, whose loose back-pass eventually allowed him to make it 2-0 to the visitors.

Expand photo
Steve Walsh
Steve Walsh

Steve Walsh famously redeemed himself by setting up Ian Marshall's first goal, before netting a late equaliser to force the tie to extra-time.

But City rallied, and scored twice in the space of just three minutes, thanks to Ian Marshall’s first of the game and an iconic strike from Walsh, who made amends for his earlier error leading to Fulham’s opener.

Forcing the clash to extra-time, it was Fulham who struck first via Chris Coleman, but Marshall was there again with nine minutes to play, ensuring City would take the game to penalties, having already beaten Leeds in a shootout in the previous round.

After Marshall and Walsh’s heroics in open play, it was time for another Fox to step up, and that man was former Lille and Lens stopper Pegguy Arphexad, who arrived at Filbert Street the summer after their 1997 League Cup triumph.

Expand photo
Pegguy Arphexad
Pegguy Arphexad

Pegguy Arphexad is mobbed by his team-mates after pushing Geoff Horsfield's penalty around the post.

The Guadeloupe-born ‘keeper saved from Horsfield, following misses from Chris Coleman and Paul Trollope, and Arnar Gunnlaugsson, Robbie Savage and Graham Fenton were all on target from 12 yards to seal a 3-0 shootout success and book their spot in the semi-finals.

There, they met Aston Villa, and after a 0-0 draw at Villa Park, Elliott headed home the winner in the second leg at Filbert Street before his double in the final against Tranmere Rovers secured a second League Cup triumph in four years.

Latest News

Latest Galleries

Latest Videos

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

More Videos

Latest Images