These rare examples of Leicester Fosse share certificates have been loaned to the Club by John Sharp, who was a Leicester City director between 1990 and 1997.
John’s father Dennis Sharp, who owned a hosiery factory in Bell Street, Wigston, was a Leicester City board member from 1946 until 1983. Dennis’ father-in-law was Louis Burridge, the owner of these share certificates.
Burridge owned a hosiery factory in Wellington Street. He was a founder director of Leicester City in 1919, served on the board until 1940 and was Chairman twice in the 1920s and 1930s.
The certificates remind us that the Club offices were in the Silver Arcade from 1904-1911, when they moved to Stanley Chambers in Gallowtree Gate.
Turning to the names on the certificates, George Johnson was the longest serving of Leicester Fosse’s secretary-managers.
FW and OJ Wright, directors in their own right, were the nephews of another Fosse director, Orson Wright, who, among other achievements, built much of South Wigston, Newfoundpool, Spinney Hill, and the Tudor Road area.
He also built the Grand Hotel, the Manchester Hotel and Newfoundpool House, later to become the recently demolished Empire Hotel.
W.H. Squires was the Leicester Fosse Chairman from 1905-1911 and throughout the First World War.
He was also on the Leicester City board, twice serving as Chairman, from 1919 to 1940, as well as serving as Club president between 1933 and 1936.
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via Email
- Share via Whatsapp
- Share via Facebook Messenger
คัดลอก URL ลงคลิปบอร์ด
URL copied to clipboard