Chilwell Buoyed by Premier League Bow
- Ben Chilwell has reflected on his Premier League debut during the Boxing Day fixture against Everton
- City fell to a 2-0 defeat to the Toffees but it was a landmark day for the young left-back at King Power Stadium
- Chilwell was one of the Foxes' best performers after coming in to replace the suspended Christian Fuchs
- Leicester welcome West Ham United to King Power Stadium on 31 December before a trip to MiddlesbroughBen Chilwell has spoken of his pride after making his Premier League debut on Boxing Day but the Leicester City full-back couldn’t hide his disappointment with a 2-0 defeat to Everton.
Having featured for the Foxes in the UEFA Champions League, EFL Cup and the Emirates FA Cup in recent seasons, Chilwell was given his chance in the league following a suspension for left-back Christian Fuchs ahead of the visit of the Toffees.
Chilwell acquitted himself well against Ronald Koeman’s men and earned yet more plaudits for the authoritative nature of his performance but, speaking to LCFC TV at full-time, he said it was frustrating not to pick up a positive result along the way.
“It was nice to make my Premier League debut, I’ve waited a long time for it,” Chilwell said. “I just wanted to prove to the fans, the manager and the players that I’m up to that level.
“I thought I did that today but the main thing was the result. It was horrible coming in after the match, losing 2-0.”
Second half goals by Kevin Mirallas and Romelu Lukaku meant the visitors took all three points but Chilwell has pointed to City's encouraging first half display as one positive to take from the encounter.
He added: “At half time we all came in saying how well we had done so it’s difficult to take because they only had a few chances and they scored both of them.
“I thought we were on top of the game so it’s a little harder to take when you’ve lost. For [Claudio Ranieri] to come out and praise me is nice but it’s harder, when we’ve lost the match, for me to come out and say I’ve done well.
“On a personal note, I’m happy with how I’ve done and it would have been a lot nicer if we had won.”
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via Email
- Share via Whatsapp
- Share via Facebook Messenger
คัดลอก URL ลงคลิปบอร์ด
URL copied to clipboard