Callum Wright

Impressive Foxes Down Brighton In PL2

Leicester City's Development Squad returned to winning ways with a 4-0 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion Under-23s at the Amex Elite Football Performance Centre on Friday evening.

A first half brace from Jake Wakeling had the Foxes in full control of the Premier League 2 Division 1 encounter at the break, before Callum Wright and Tyrese Shade added to the scoreline early in the second period.

It was a brilliant performance from the away side, who bounced back in style from a 4-0 defeat away at Manchester City last time out.

In fact, City's youngsters had failed to win in the league since the opening day of the season, not that it showed as they swept aside the previously unbeaten Seagulls - who included Colombian forward José Izquierdo in their starting XI - with relative ease.

Steve Beaglehole made three changes to the side with Shane Flynn, Callum Hulme and Thanawat Suengchitthawon coming in for Johnly Yfeko, Khanya Leshabela and Ali Reghba. 

City lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation for the clash on the south coast, with Wakeling acting as the lone striker and left winger Wright taking the captain's armband.

The hosts started brightly as Romaric Yapi fizzed the ball across the face of goal early on, but nobody was there to turn it home.

The full-back again looked lively in attacking areas, exchanging passes with Peter Gwargis before getting to the byline and finding Ulrick Ella in the middle, who sent the ball narrowly wide on the volley.

But it would be the visitors who took the lead on 14 minutes when Wakeling prodded the ball home inside the area after good work from Vontae Daley-Campbell down the right. Brighton failed to clear their lines and after Wright tried to turn it towards goal, City's No.9 made no mistake, scoring his first goal for the Club in the process.

Brighton still carried a threat as Gwargis shifted left and then right before finding the side netting at Stolarczyk's near post.

However, the Foxes' early goal gave them confidence and the visitors started to win back possession high up the pitch at regular intervals, preventing Brighton from playing their usual, fluid football.

More chances soon arrived from the pressure, with Shade able to take aim from the edge of the box, only for Carl Rushworth to get down quickly and claim.

Wakeling doubled his and Leicester's tally before the half-time break, moving the ball onto his left foot and clinically guiding it into the bottom corner.

Now on a hat-trick, Wakeling immediately caused more problems for the Brighton back line and he was brought to ground by Rushworth when bearing down on goal. The Seagulls' shot-stopper was shown a straight red card for the challenge, leaving the hosts down to 10 men for the second half.

It became three soon after the break, with Wakeling involved once again, this time the provider for Wright, who made no mistake once through on goal, calmly slotting the ball home from close range.

The game was wrapped up two minutes later, with Shade curling a low shot into the bottom corner, beating substitute 'keeper Rees at his near post.

Leicester continued to show their ruthless edge against 10-man Brighton, almost finding a fifth when Wakeling won the ball in the box and squared it for Wright, who saw his effort cleared off the line by Antef Tsoungui.

Darragh O'Connor could have added his name to the scoresheet had he kept his header down after rising highest to meet Wright's teasing delivery, before substitute Admiral Muskwe also headed over, this time from Flynn's corner.

At the other end, Tsoungi might have grabbed a consolation goal late on when the Brighton skipper found himself unmarked in the box from a corner, but headed wide of the target.

The Foxes saw out the final few minutes to preserve their clean sheet and take all three points back to Leicester.

Major moment…

Expand photo
Darragh O'Connor
Darragh O'Connor

City kept a clean sheet in the league for the first time since the opening day of the season.

After a bright start from the hosts, Jake Wakeling's opener will have settled the nerves within Leicester's ranks and once they got into their rhythm, there was no stopping the resurgent Foxes.

Rushworth's red card on the stroke of half-time put pay to any chance of the Seagulls attempting a second half comeback, with City asserting their dominance on the game in the second-half. 

Who impressed?

Expand photo
Callum Wright
Callum Wright

Skipper Callum Wright scored the Foxes' third goal soon after half-time.

It was a real captain's performance from Callum Wright, who set the tone for the team right from the opening exchanges. His combination play with Wakeling - who scored two and assisted another - was superb at times. Both players deserve a mention for their attacking display and quality in the final third. 

Where does it leave us?

Expand photo
Sidnei Tavares
Sidnei Tavares

Sidnei Tavares delivered an assured performances for the Foxes.

The Foxes move up to 9th in Premier League 2 Division 1, level on points with eighth place Liverpool, with two wins from the opening six matches.

Coming up…

Expand photo
Callum Hulme
Callum Hulme

Callum Hulme battles with José Izquierdo to win back possession for the Foxes.

The Foxes are in EFL Trophy action next, taking on League 2 side Grimsby Town at Blundell Park on Tuesday 10 November for their third group stage fixture (kick-off 7:45pm).

Leicester will then turn their attention back to the league when they welcome West Ham United Under-23s to Leicester City Training Ground on Monday 23 November (7pm kick-off).

The details…


City: Stolarczyk; Daley-Campbell, O’Connor, Nelson (Godsmark-Ford 70'), Flynn; Hulme, Tavares; Shade (Arlott-John 67'), Suengchitthawon, Wright (c); Wakeling (Muskwe 63').

Subs not used: Doherty, McAteer.

Goals: Wakeling 14', 42'; Wright 48'; Shade 50'.

Photo credit: Paul Hazlewood/BHAFC.

All times GMT.

Latest Videos

Latest Photos


Leicester City Crest

Latest News

Load More Videos

Latest Images