Aileen Whelan

Last-Gasp Defeat For The Foxes At Everton

LCFC Women's quest for a first Barclays Women's Super League point goes on after a late 1-0 reverse to Everton at Walton Hall Park on Thursday evening.
More on this story...

Substitute Hanna Bennison's injury-time free-kick proved to the difference between the two sides as Leicester fell to a third defeat from three in the WSL.

An unchanged team was named by Lydia Bedford and the away side started brightly, with Molly Pike curling a right-footed shot into the arms of Everton debutant Emily Ramsey in the opening stages. Jemma Purfield then tried to lob the shot-stopper, who was able to comfortably claim. 

At the other end, Katja Snoeijs got a shot away that Kirstie Levell managed to get down to parry away, but the whistle had already blown for a push on Sam Tierney

Leicester continued to push forward themselves and when Shannon O’Brien took aim from distance, Ramsey had it covered, making a low stop. 

Everton threatened when Nathalie Björn drove forward, playing Izzy Christiansen through down the left, and the midfielder flashed the ball across goal, but Snoeijs could not get close enough to find a touch.

Starting the second period on the front foot, City fashioned the first opportunity of the half, via Sophie Howard's cross, which was headed wide by Carrie Jones.

From City's next attack, a scramble ensued, and following O'Brien's header back into the box, the ball was there for Tierney to go for, but Ramsey managed to smother it, taking a knock for her troubles.

Purfield's free-kick from range was soon beaten away by Ramsey, making a diving save, while Snoeijs' header from Gabby George's cross was saved by Levell, as both sides searched for the opener. 

Substitute Karen Holmgaard forced the Foxes 'keeper into a low stop after driving forward to the edge of the box and the Toffees went close again via Bennison's curling strike, which flew just over the crossbar after shifting the ball onto her left.

Having had the majority of the chances, the introductions of Natasha Flint and Missy Goodwin added fresh impetus to the attack, but the pressure started to mount on Leicester's goal and Tierney needed to make two sliding blocks as the clock ticked towards 90 minutes, from Gio Queiroz Costa and Snoeijs.

There was one final chance to come, and from a free-kick positioned on the left, Swedish international Bennison curled the set play over Levell, who got a hand to the ball but could only divert it into the far corner. Barely time to take the resulting kick-off, Leicester were beaten in the cruellest of fashions.

Major moment…

Expand photo
Erin Simon

The Foxes more than matched Everton throughout the encounter.

A harsh ending for the visitors, the game looked to be heading for a goalless draw until a moment of magic from Everton's No.10 which finally broke the deadlock.  

Who impressed?

Expand photo
Josie Green

The summer signing was making her third start of the season.

In a contest largely played out in the middle, Josie Green won plenty of battles, before looking to pick passes going forward and create attacks. Producing an energetic display, she was replaced by CJ Bott for the final 15 minutes.

Where do we stand?

Expand photo
CJ Bott

A dejected CJ Bott looks on after the full-time whistle.

Leicester remain 11th in the Barclays Women's Super League table after three matches, one of three sides yet to pick up a win this campaign.

Coming up...

Expand photo
LCFC Women

City play again in three days' time, in their final fixture before the international break.

The Foxes turn their attention to the Continental Tyres League Cup on Sunday, facing Barclays Women's Championship outfit Blackburn Rovers at The Sir Tom Finney Stadium in a 2pm kick-off. 

The details…


City: Levell; Simon, Howard, Tierney, Plumptre, Purfield; Pike, Green (Bott 75'), Whelan (c); Jones (Flint 54'), (Scofield 90+3'), O'Brien (Goodwin 75'). 

Subs not used: Poor, Vance, Robinson, E. Jones.

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

Latest Videos

Latest Images