Harvey Barnes

Bournemouth Recover To Defeat City

Leicester City were beaten 2-1 by Bournemouth in the Premier League on Saturday, despite going ahead at Vitality Stadium.
More on this story...

The Foxes were unable to hold onto a lead courtesy of Patson Daka's instinctive finish, as Philip Billing and then Ryan Christie fired home for the hosts in the second half.

Following Monday's 4-0 triumph against Nottingham Forest, manager Brendan Rodgers made two changes to his starting XI, with Boubakary Soumaré replacing the injured Wilfred Ndidi and Daka coming in for Jamie Vardy up front. England Under-18s captain and Academy graduate Sammy Braybrooke, meanwhile, was named on the bench.

As part of the No Room For Racism initiative, taking place this month across two Premier League weekends, both sets of players took the knee ahead of kick-off to show unity against all forms of racism. 

In the third minute, Christie raced in on goal after getting there ahead of James Justin, who recovered well to outmuscle the Bournemouth No.10 before goalkeeper Danny Ward was able to gather the loose ball. A let off for City in the opening stages in Dorset.

Within 10 minutes of kick-off, City were in front. Growing into the game, winger Harvey Barnes' shot was initially blocked, however it would rebound off two Bournemouth defenders and into the path of Daka, who lashed the ball in off the post for his third goal in four Premier League games. A brief VAR check concluded the goal would stand.

The Foxes had to do some defending moments later and it was Youri Tielemans who first stood in the way of Lewis Cook's well-hit volley, prior to a brilliant sliding tackle from Belgium international Wout Faes, who had already made several key defensive contributions. 

It could have been 2-0 on 26 minutes when Timothy Castagne aimed a cross at Daka, however the feet of former Barcelona stopper Neto kept the ball out of the Cherries net. Another Leicester chance, this time from a James Maddison corner, saw Faes flick it onto Jonny Evans, who struck straight at Neto waiting on the goal-line.

On 37 minutes, Cook located Christie, who tried to slide the ball past Ward, however the Wales 'keeper read the attempt and made a save to his right to deny the hosts a leveller. Then, not long after, Ryan Fredericks was denied a penalty claim and booked for simulation after going to ground following an Evans challenge. No VAR review was required. 

Towards the end of the first half, Cook lifted into Christie to combine with him once more, however Ward positioned himself well on his goal-line and clung onto the header. Following the first 45 minutes of action on the south coast, City held a 1-0 lead over Gary O'Neil's side.

Castagne was needed in the opening stages of the second period, heading Fredericks' delivery off the line with several Bournemouth men waiting in the middle. It was Maddison's turn to have a shot blocked, this time on 51 minutes, after the No.10 darted inside from the right.

With over an hour gone, Tavernier's free-kick hit the stanchion of the goal and Chris Mepham blasted over after a good defensive header from Soumaré, with Ward able to watch both fly off target. At the other end, Maddison's free-kick, from 25 yards, was held by Neto.

Soon after, a double substitution for City saw Daniel Amartey and Vardy introduced – Castagne and Daka made way for the remaining 25 minutes plus stoppage time, bringing with it a change in shape.

The Cherries hit back on 68 minutes, though. Dominic Solanke beat Faes to a throw-in, and the striker initially had his shot blocked by the Leicester No.3, but Billing was on hand to smash home the rebound, into the top corner, to level matters in Bournemouth. 

A quest for an immediate reply from Rodgers' men ensued. Maddison linked up well with Barnes, whose placed attempt was gathered by Neto. However, the Cherries went ahead through their next attack, with Christie converting Solanke's knock-down for 2-1. 

Trying to muster up a leveller of their own, City looked to respond as Justin picked out Vardy in the left channel. His first-time cross sailed wide of Neto's left-and post, though. Then came another City change, as Nigeria striker Kelechi Iheanacho replaced Soumaré.

Neat combination play between Barnes and Iheanacho nearly led to the former creating a chance for Vardy, but Neto was brave in his claim and plucked the ball away from the Foxes No.9 with five minutes to play. During City's final substitution window, Ayoze Pérez came on for Justin, bolstering their attacking threat.

Four additional minutes of time added on saw substitute Jaidon Anthony have a goal disallowed for offside, and while the ball went long to Iheanacho in the closing stages, he was unable to make ground and Bournemouth held out for the win. 

Major moment – Christie's winner

Expand photo
Boubakary Soumaré

Boubakary Soumaré absorbs pressure from Dominic Solanke on the south coast.

Into the break with a 1-0 lead, City looked comfortable on the south coast, but Philip Billing restored parity before Ryan Christie netted the winning goal.

Where do we stand? – 19th

Expand photo
Wout Faes

The Belgium international centre-back made his third Premier League appearance for the Foxes.

After their ninth Premier League match of 2022/23, the Foxes remain 19th in the Premier League table.

Coming up – Crystal Palace (H)

Expand photo
Jonny Evans

The City captain applauds the 1,318 members of the travelling Blue Army at full-time.

Patrick Vieira's Crystal Palace come to town in the first of back-to-back Premier League fixtures at King Power Stadium on Saturday 15 October (12:30pm kick-off), ahead of another home clash with Leeds United on Thursday 20 October (8:15pm kick-off). 

The details...

All times BST.

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

Latest Videos

Latest Images