Shannon O'Brien

Man City Inflict First WSL Loss On Foxes

Despite a performance to be proud of, LCFC Women were beaten 1-0 by Manchester City Women at King Power Stadium on Saturday evening.

An early first-half goal from Chloe Kelly was enough to settle the clash as Leicester were handed a first defeat of the season, placing them fourth in the Barclays Women's Super League with seven points from their first four games.

There were three changes to the side that earned a point at Leigh Sports Village last weekend against Manchester United Women with Missy Goodwin, Janice Cayman and Josie Green all making way for Hannah Cain, Jutta Rantala and Julie Thibaud.

After a promising first 10 minutes from the Foxes, which saw Leicester look to work chances into the Man City box, the opening goal was scored by the hosts after Kelly broke down the right wing and fired an effort towards goal, which Janina Leitzig couldn't stop from going underneath her and into the back of the net. 

Expand photo
Sam Tierney

The loss against Man City is the Foxes' first of the season.

The visitors continued to look threatening on the break, but it was the home side who had more of the ball and looked the most dangerous over the next 20 minutes, seeing a couple of chances fall to summer signings Lena Petermann and Rantala.

The most promising opening came when Cain tried to supply the German forward but her left-footed effort was too close to Khiara Keating, who made the save. Moments later, a positive run from Rantala allowed her the opportunity to shoot, but the result was the same, as the Citizens' 'keeper got down low to claim the ball.

As the interval came into view, it was still the hosts who looked more likely to find the next goal of the game, and had their best chance when a succession of corners carved openings towards the Sky Blues' goal. Most notably, good footwork from Shannon O'Brien inside the box created space for Sam Tierney to direct an effort goalwards, but last-ditch defending kept the scoreline constant. 

The second half continued in similar fashion, with Leicester on the lookout to forge a gap in Man City's defence, while the Manchester side were looking to wrap the game up on the counter-attack. With plenty of possession for both teams, City's best chance came when Cain fired an effort towards Keating, who had the near post covered. 

Expand photo
Jutta Rantala

Jutta Rantala looking for a way through.

At the other end, Leitzig was called into action a couple of times and denied Khadija Shaw from close range to keep the Foxes within touching distance of their opponents heading into the final 10 minutes.

The next chance for Leicester came when a long ball forward was nodded down by Petermann, into the path of Tierney, who did well to test the visiting 'keeper with a half-volley from outside the box, but once again, Man City's defence stood firm.

The Foxes continued to push until the end, but the travelling defensive line wasn't to be broken, as Willie Kirk's side fell to their first defeat of the season, as October's international break brings a halt to fixtures for City, who must wait until Sunday 5 November for their next match, when they take on Liverpool at Prenton Park.

Leicester City Crest





Get Game Pass

To watch or listen to Leicester City’s Sky Bet Championship matches live on Foxes Hub, you now need to have a Game Pass. Please click below to get yours and enjoy the action!

Buy Game Pass Now!