- Kelechi Iheanacho says playing in the Emirates FA Cup has been a ‘beautiful’ experience for him so far
- The Leicester City striker scored twice against Fleetwood Town in the third round, adding to his excellent record in the competition
- Iheanacho wants to follow in the footsteps of his Nigerian heroes by tasting FA Cup glory with the Foxes
- City head to Peterborough United in the fourth round on Saturday (12:30pm kick-off)
The striker has excelled in the FA Cup having scored seven goals across his professional career at both Manchester City and Leicester City.
Iheanacho described playing in the FA Cup as ‘beautiful’, and rightly so having netted twice in a 2-0 win over Fleetwood Town to help the Foxes set up a fourth round tie at Peterborough United this weekend.
“I think it’s a great competition and it’s a great thing to be scoring in the FA Cup,” Iheanacho told LCFC TV. “I’m happy to be scoring in the FA Cup and I’m working hard every day, so it’s a great cup to be playing in.
“I didn’t have the opportunity to watch all of the games [when I was younger] but I think playing in it now makes it more beautiful.”
Iheanacho's Peterborough Focus
Kelechi Iheanacho speaks to LCFC TV ahead of Saturday's visit to Peterborough United.
Many talented Nigerians – including 2008 winner Nwankwo Kanu – have played in the FA Cup and Iheanacho says that has inspired him to continue his successful goalscoring return.
He said: “I think the FA Cup has great memories and I think there have been Nigerian legends that have played in it as well, like Jay-Jay Okocha and Nwankwo Kanu.
“They’ve played in it, so it’s a great thing to play in the FA Cup. I have great memories. I hope I’ll be in it and have one great memory, which is winning the FA Cup.”
Goals: Leicester City 2 Fleetwood Town 0
Watch the goals from the Foxes' FA Cup Third Round Replay victory over Fleetwood Town on Tuesday 16 January...
His brace against Fleetwood – including a first ever goal confirmed by VAR in an English competition – will no doubt see him head into Saturday’s game full of confidence.
“If there’s a favourite, it should be the two goals against Fleetwood the other day,” Iheanacho added.
“It was a great game and it’s going to be a memory that people are going to keep talking about, and I’m going to keep talking about it as well! It’s a great memory.”
- Share via Facebook
- Share via Twitter
- Share via Email
- Share via Whatsapp
- Share via Facebook Messenger
- Copy link to clipboardUrl Copied to clipboard