Fosse Road house
Leicester Fosse FC was founded in the garden shed behind this house on Fosse Road.
The founders of the Club attended a bible class run by Reverand Parsons at the now demolished Emanuel Chapel in New Park Street.
Several of them had been pupils at the old Wyggeston School in Southgate Street.
Fosse’s first ever game - a 5-0 victory over Syston Fosse on 1 November, 1884 - was in a field off Fosse Road South. Westleigh Avenue has since been built on the site.
Victoria Park Pavilion
Fosse’s first regular home ground, from 1884-87 was Victoria Park. The team changed before matches in this pavilion. Fosse’s membership had expanded to 40 playing members and two teams by 1887.
Belgrave Road grounds
Leicester Fosse moved their home ground to the Belgrave Road Cycle and Cricket Ground. This later became the site of the BU Shoe factory. Leicester Tigers outbid Fosse for the Belgrave Road ground in 1888, forcing the Club to return to Victoria Park for the 1888/89 season.
Fosse clay pipe
Fosse signed their first professional, Harry Webb, from Stafford Rangers at 2/6d (12 ½ p) per week. This specially branded Leicester Fosse supporters' clay pipe dates from this time
Ullswater Street, site of Mill Lane ground
Fosse moved their home ground to Mill Lane. Today, Mill Lane is at the heart of the De Montfort University campus. The actual pitch is now covered by Ullswater Street.
1889-90 team photo
This season, based at Mill Lane, Fosse won their first-ever trophy, beating Coalville in the Leicestershire County Cup Final at Loughborough.
Fosse's first trophy
Fosse entered the FA Cup for the first time. They were elected to the recently formed Midland League at the end of the season.
Grace Road, 1891
When Leicester Fosse entered the Midland League in 1891, houses were being built over their Mill Lane ground, forcing them temporarily to play at Grace Road Cricket Ground, pictured here in 1891, when it was known as The County Cricket Ground, Aylestone Park.
1894-95 Season Ticket
In October 1891, three years before entering the Football League, Fosse finally moved to Filbert Street, then known as the Walnut Street Ground, the oldest existing plan of which was included in the 1894-95 Season Ticket.
Painting of Filbert Street
In their first season, Fosse struggled in the Midland League, but they were attracting crowds. Fosse later finished fourth in the Midland League, drawing in 13,000 for the home game against Loughborough Town. This painting is the earliest known picture of Filbert Street.
Football League entrants
Boasting 19 professionals, Fosse finished 2nd in the Midland League and were elected to the Football League at the end of the season.
The early history
Ten years after their formation, Fosse were elected to the Football League. There were several steps on this journey. This booklet was published to commemorate the Club’s 10th anniversary.
In 1897, after three years as a league club, Fosse was rescued from financial collapse at an AGM at the Temperance Hall in Granby Street. This set up a limited company. A board of directors replaced the old committee.
In 1898, Watkins (back) and Jones (front), wearing their caps in this Fosse team photograph, became the first-ever Fosse international players when they were selected for Wales against Scotland.