Report: Leamington 0 City 2

Second half goals from Chris Wood and Martyn Waghorn got Leicester City’s pre-season campaign off to a winning start at Leamington on Friday night in a useful friendly outing.

New Zealand international Wood pounced first to drill home Waghorn’s pass on the 60-minute mark before grabbing an assist minutes later as his strike partner doubled City’s lead with a great right foot finish.

A total of 23 players saw action for The Foxes as they cruised to a 2-0 victory against a spirited Leamington side in a game that will serve as good preparation for next week’s Austrian training camp.

Marko Futacs and Jamie Vardy led the line for The Foxes in their pre-season curtain raiser at the New Windmill Ground in a familiar 4-4-2 formation.

Skipper Wes Morgan also featured in defence for Nigel Pearson’s men in a starting XI that saw a return to action in a City shirt for midfielder Neil Danns, who ended last season on loan with Huddersfield Town.

It was a bright start from City, who enjoyed an early spell of pressure after Jeff Schlupp won a corner from the left flank - a period of play that eventually ended with a long range effort from Danns that whistled over the bar.

The home side did threaten in the early stages from a flurry of corner kicks, before Richie De Laet then got on the end of a Paul Gallagher delivery for City, only to see it land on the roof of the net on 20 minutes.

Foxes forward Futacs then made way for youngster Jacob Blyth on the 29 minute mark as Ben Marshall had a speculative effort well saved by Leamington ‘keeper Tony Breeden.

A clever combination down the right between Gallagher and De Laet then almost yielded the game’s first goal, but Breeden was once again in fine form to palm Vardy’s low effort around the post, before he again denied Danns and Gallagher to ensure the sides went into the break all-square.  

It was an entirely different for City in the second half as Pearson looked to give as many players a run out as possible, and the new side seemed eager to impress in the early stages.

Within minutes of kick-off Lloyd Dyer flashed an effort narrowly wide before Waghorn worked the ball onto his left foot and forced a fingertip save from Breeden just moments later.

Matty James then tried his luck ten minutes into the half after playing a neat one-two with Anthony Knockaert on the edge of the area, but his low right footed drive from 18 yards was again clawed away by the impressive Brakes stopper.

The home side were still a threat though, and a section of the home support were on their feet with 60 minutes gone when Ricky Johnson crashed a beautifully timed volley into the side netting.

However The Foxes finally took the lead in the very next move of the match. Waghorn cut inside from the right and his low shot squirmed through a couple of defenders and into the path of Wood, who made no mistake in firing the ball into the bottom corner for 1-0.

Wood then turned provider nine minutes later as he picked out his strike partner in the area with a clever pass to allow Waghorn to curl a neat effort with his right foot past Breeden and double City’s lead.

As the home side began to tire, more chances came the way of City in the closing stages – the best of which falling for Wood, only for the striker to fire over from the left side of the 18 yard box.

Wood's effort proved to be the last meaningful chance of the evening for either side as City cruised to a 2-0 victory and an impressive performance to get their pre-season campaign underway.

First half: Logan, Sesay, Morgan, Taft, De Laet, Schlupp, Danns, Marshall, Gallagher, Vardy, Futacs (Blyth 29)

Second half: Smith, Cain, Moore, Whitbread, Elder, Knockaert, King, James, Dyer, Waghorn, Wood

Subs not used: Panayiotou, Anton, McCourt, Paratore, Hopper, Dodoo

Goals: Wood 61, Waghorn 70

Attendance: 1,002

Latest News

Latest Galleries

Latest Videos

Leicester City Crest

Latest News

More Videos

Latest Images